Below you’ll find the job description for Design Director. Get in touch to learn more.
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place. We’re the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, WordPress VIP, and more, and we’re looking for Design Directors to keep the web free and open with us.
You’ll join a diverse design team and work closely with engineers, marketers, and customer support from around the world in a fully remote company to create products that make online publishing and commerce accessible to everyone.
What you’ll do
- Support other designers during the phases of a project, from definition to development, contributing to design as needed.
- Oversee and be accountable for the team’s output of high-quality design solutions that create value for our customers.
- Contribute yourself as necessary and relevant to elevate the design craft.
- Help other designers develop their craft, individuating areas of improvement and support with adequate mentorship whenever needed.
- Ensure the team uses efficient processes and tools.
- Stimulate regular feedback cycles with thoughtful critique.
- Build solid human relationships with your team, understanding each designer’s work.
- Identify and appropriately respond to your team’s high and low-performing designers. Recognize and celebrate individual and group wins.
- Translate business and strategic goals into design tasks and facilitate collaboration with development teams.
We are looking for
- A deep understanding of the Product Design process and how to effectively deliver solutions that respect Business, Users, and Technical constraints.
- Ability to effectively guide designers throughout the design process, with particular attention to usability and craft.
- Experience leading a team of designers, ensuring they can create their best work, and holding the team accountable to a high bar for quality.
- Experience working with and managing a variety of stakeholders across the business.
- Proven experience driving other designers through changes, facilitating adaptations with resilience towards multiple product and process iterations.
- Experience in coaching, developing, and inspiring other designers to collaborate towards common goals.
How we work
We’re a global, distributed workforce in over 90 countries. We value open source, prioritize transparent communication, and believe that good ideas can (and do) come from anywhere, so we encourage Automatticians to work together across positions and roles. Together we create, develop, and care for a collection of digital products and services that are committed to democratizing publishing and commerce.
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We have no set hours or expectations that you’re online from 9 to 5. You create a schedule that allows you to get your best work done.
- We travel sometimes to meet up and work together.
We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels. Here’s more about what we expect from ourselves.
Not what you’re looking for? We have more open roles in Design.